Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Moving question

Some of you may know by now, but I am 98% certain that I am going to move this summer. (Location tbd.) I did some back of the envelope calculations this morning and realized that, yet again, it is not financially worth it for me to move my stuff. All of my furniture, brand new, is only worth about $1200-1300. The cost of renting a u-haul starts at over $600. Once you include gas, that will be $800-900 (depending on mpg and fuel prices this summer). That price doesn't even include the cost of moving my car! That cost would depend on wether I tow the car behind the truck, or drive it separately. So, long story short, it just isn't worth it for me to move my crap. So here is the question: how much do you think I should sell my furniture for? The oldest pieces are less than 4 years old. There are a few things that are not worth giving away, but I was thinking that I should try to sell the rest of it for about 20% of what I paid for it. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. You're in a big city, so I might try closer to 40%. Or even starting at 50% so you have room to negotiate. Also, maybe I could help with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother agrees with you on the 40%. I'll let you know if I need the help (or just want some company). :)

      Delete