Friday, January 11, 2013

13 books - one down...

12 more to go! I must confess that I'm surprised that I have finished one already since I haven't been keeping up with my reading as much in the last few years as I used to read (of course, that would require me to be able to read between 150 and 200 books a year again, and I just don't have that kind of time like I did in high school). I suppose that since I'm going to be talking about this on here that I should write a little review about each one as I finish. So here goes...

Breakfast at Tiffany's
Have any of you ever seen the Audrey Hepburn version? I saw it about nine years ago, so I don't remember much about it. But I do remember enough to say that the movie deviated from the book pretty early on. Most of the characters are the same but the storyline isn't. There is no romance between "Fred" and Holly. According to Capote, he actually imagined "Fred" as a homosexual character. I won't give away the changes, so I'll sum it up like this. The book is short (technically it is a novella) and sweet. Capote's writing style is concise and clear. I would recommend it if you're looking for something to get lost into for a short period of time.

1. The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides
2. Hideous Kinky, Ester Freud
3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson
4. The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe
5. In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
6. Franny and Zooey, JD Salinger
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote
8. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
9. 1984, George Orwell
10. Out of Africa, Isak Dineson
11. Absalom, Absalom!, William Faulkner
12. The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
13. The Awakening, Kate Chopin

No comments:

Post a Comment