Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Thoughts on Boston

I am a runner. I am not a good runner, nor a fast runner, and there are many days that I don't even like it. But by all definitions of a runner - I am a runner.

Monday was the Boston Marathon - a race that I have absolutely no desire to run, but highly commend those who do. The people who run to push themselves. The people who run just to run. The people who run for charities. And the spectators- the people who stand there for hours and hours to cheer on the runners and encourage them to keep going. All of these people are amazing. Monday's attack on the Boston Marathon was nothing but a terrorist attack. To call it anything else would be to dismiss it. It served no purpose other than to invoke fear into the lives of people and to injure those in the vicinity. In the wake of the tragedy, stories have flooded the media about the heroes who potentially risked their lives to help their fellow man. They made tourniquets from their clothing, carried people from the wreckage, and held arteries closed. They donated blood, hosted people in their homes, and just gave out hugs (never underestimate the power of a hug). All of these people are amazing. Every single one of them. In the midst of the tragedy we see humanity at its finest.

Unfortunately, we also see humanity at its worst.

When I say that we see "humanity" at its worst, I don't mean the person (or people) who created the bombs. They are not "humanity." They are only one or two or ten people. Individuals. Since the tragedy I have seen over and over in comment sections of news stories - stories which actually highlight the heroic actions of the people in Boston rather than the terrorists - comments filled with hate. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that the one(s) responsible should have to face the consequences of their actions, but I don't think that it does anyone any good to share such anger and hate. The victims of the bombing are going to go through a mixture of emotions - sadness, happiness that they're alive, anger at losing limbs or being hospitalized, and so many others. The victims are probably going to be angry at the one(s) responsible. They have every right to be angry. But the people of the world who were not there should be pouring out love, kindness, and help to those in need rather than spreading hate toward the terrorist(s). People say over and over that we can't let the terrorists win. If we allow them to bring out the negative emotions - the hate and the anger - into a public forum, then we've done just that. We've let them win.

Pour out your love, generosity, and kindness to the victims. Don't let the terrorists win.

I will be participating in a half marathon in a few weeks. I will patiently deal with any extra security measures that are taken and be grateful that the organizers are showing concern for my life and the other participants' lives. I will remember the victims of the Boston Marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment