Monday, October 1, 2012

I ran a 5K

I am not an athletic person. That may be an understatement. I have never played a sport in my entire life other than on my sorority's flag football team or forced fun at a couple of camps. I tore all of the soft tissue in my right ankle in college while rehearsing for Fiddler on the Roof. Seriously. That's just how graceful I am, and shows just how much physical activity hates me. But yesterday I ran a 5K. I have never run 3.1 miles at once before in my entire life. Ever.

Over the last year or so I have taken a better look at my family's health history. It doesn't look so great. Lots of heart issues. Lots of cancer. Lots of other things. While I can't prevent some of the hereditary issues, I can help with some of the heart and cancer issues. I have been trying to cut down on some of the processed foods in my diet (which is much easier said than done) and I decided that exercise was actually necessary. I decided that I was going to run in this particular last year, but then it didn't happen. So I signed up this year and it became do or die. So yesterday I did; today I think I may die.

My next goal is to run in a 10K in mid-November. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment